Introducing Functional Grammar – Third edition (Geoff Thompson)
Introducing Functional Grammar, third edition, provides a user-friendly overview of the theoretical and practical aspects of the systemic functional grammar (SFG) model.
No prior knowledge of formal linguistics is required as the book provides:
• An opening chapter on the purpose of linguistic analysis, which outlines the differences between the two major approaches to grammar – functional and formal.
• An overview of the SFG model – what it is and how it works.
• Advice and practice on identifying elements of language structure such as clauses
and clause constituents.
• Numerous examples of text analysis using the categories introduced, and discussion about what the analysis shows.
• Exercises to test comprehension, along with answers for guidance.
The third edition is updated throughout, and is based closely on the fourth edition of Halliday and Matthiessen’s Introduction to Functional Grammar.
Introducing Functional Grammar remains the essential entry guide to Hallidayan functional grammar, for undergraduate and postgraduate students of language and linguistics.